Game Design

Part 1
I like how the first reading piece address' the similarity in a lot of games and how they struggle to find how they differ. I really agree with this as many fps (first person shooters) are very similar hence why I stopped buying them especially how they now produce sequels that are basically the same game with slight changes in visuals and concept/time for the same high or sometimes a higher price. They also talk about how the older games are novel but were hits. I feel that older games were more focused on story line as multiplayer online was not an everyday thing. This means game designers and developers these days have more work and more focus drawn out. Costing more resources and time which in turn adds up to the costly game prices we see today. I also had a good think about how board games are actually in the same lines of computer games with the same problems of saturation and the struggle of trying to find your niche that will sell well.
The third article I also found of interest as it talks about using physical games to teach people the basics of game design which is smart as I think it would even help me understand all of the working factors of a game and not so much on the whole design and look of a game which can be quite daunting with graphics only advancing further each year. If you strip it back to basics it is a lot easier to understand what is needed to make a successful game. You will also focus on game play which is the most important part. I feel as if we all rush for the looks of a game but that always one of the last things you focus on

Part 2
I read the article I have no words I must design. One part that jumped out at me was when they talked about how there can be two types of games. Games depending on quick response and thinking to get through it or the slow paced strategic which in both your decisions means a win or lose. But they both are different kind of stimulation of the brain causing different interactions. I also was intrigued about the games like sim city which don't have explicit goals but yet it was a hugely successful game. This just shows how there is a lot that can be accounted for the success of game.
Board Game Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Alpha

Game Brainstorm